£1.9bn project to expand the UK’s electric vehicle charging stations

Nov 11, 2021

A £1.9 billion ($2.5 billion) investment plan announced by electric vehicle (EV) infrastructure company Connected Kerb is expected to help the UK expand its portfolio of EV chargers and amplify the electrification of the transport sector.

The project will add 190,000 public on-street EV chargers by 2030 and help the UK to address the lack of EV charging infrastructure that is hindering an accelerated use of EVs to reduce emissions.

Whilst EV sales have increased by 88% in 2021 compared to 2020 levels, the number of chargers in the UK is insufficient to meet the growth in EV use, according to a statement.

There are only around 1,000 public-access on-street chargers outside of London and just one for every 52 EVs on UK roads, according to Connected Kerb.

In 2021, Connected Kerb says it will be deploying 10,000 public on-street chargers in West Sussex, Kent and other cities. The projects will prepare the UK for the 2030 ban on petrol and diesel cars enacted by the government.

The project the firm will implement in West Sussex will be the UK’s largest-ever deployment by a local authority. Connected Kerb says it plans to sign deals for the deployment of 30,000 more EV chargers across the UK in 2022.

The UK government through Office for Zero Emission Vehicles’ on-Street Residential Charging Scheme will provide 75% of the cost of installations whilst Connected Kerb will provide the remaining 25%.

Dr Chris Pateman-Jones, Chief Executive Officer of Connected Kerb, said: “Knowing you can arrive at virtually any location, at any time, in any vehicle and cheaply charge your battery without inconvenience or faff is the reality we have to deliver to create an EV society.”

“Targets are important – for an industry so critical to the decarbonisation of transport, we need goals to work towards and objectives to which we are all accountable. However, they need to be met with action. With deals confirmed for 10,000 chargers this year alone and 30,000 more expected next year, we are demonstrating that we’re getting on with the job and delivering the change that needs to happen – not just talking about it.”

The announcement comes a time calls for governments and energy stakeholders to up their energy transition and climate action efforts by putting plans into concrete actions have increased.

Transport Minister Trudy Harrison added: “Providing reliable and affordable on-street charging is vital as we work to decarbonise transport and level up across the country.

“It’s great to see Connected Kerb and local authorities working together as the Government commits £2.5bn ($3.39 billion) towards electric vehicle grants and the development of EV infrastructure in our towns and cities.”